Saturday 18 October 2014

Marks and Proofs

Getting our tests back so quickly came as a bit of a shock this week. My mark was gave me a bigger shock.  Messing up on a topic you thought you understood(which in my case was the order of the quantifiers and how the meaning of the statement changes depending on the order)  is a bit depressing.

Sad test marks aside, the shorter than usual lecture this week covered actually doing proofs rather than just their structures. We started off with non boolean function proofs and a relatively new concept of the 'floor' of a function. I understood the proofs when they were done in class, but my problem is actually doing them by myself. Understanding something that's already there is much easier than actually creating something based on the understanding you already have of it. So the "takeaway" slides at the end of each of each section of the lecture helped me get a better viewpoint on things such as working with expressions to make them look more like the ones in the question itself.

Then came disproving a statement,  which is basically the same as proving its negation. What I found a bit tricky here was visualizing the examples because not all functions or statements are as straightforward or easy to visualize as the ones we do in lecture.
Lastly, we did epsilon-delta proofs of limits. Again this is something we're doing in calculus too, so its just a tiny bit easier to understand. But the backward search way of finding the delta is something that I still have to work on.

All in all I think proofs are something that give a lot of people trouble but hopefully we all will pull through this and survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment