Friday 26 September 2014

Take Two

The main topic we covered this week was that of Conjunctions and Disjunctions; what they are and their negations.
I'm sure that I was not the only one in class who saw these as pretty much the math versions of  'AND' and 'OR' logic gates. The concept was simple enough to grasp but what I still have a problem in is translating from English to symbols. Like one of the questions in our preparation for this week's tutorial is "No course is a prerequisite for itself."(1.d.) While doing the earlier parts of the same question it was easy enough to have one x and one y and either existentially or universally quantify them. This part left me stumped because how do I quantify two courses when I am only talking about only one course? I had similar problems with the rest of the parts of question 1.
Thankfully, all was sorted out during tutorial when I found out that we can in fact, use multiple variables or even the same ones.
So, looking back at what we've done this week, it's hard for me to find something that I found exceptionally difficult. I like to think that I'm a very logical person in general  => math logic comes easily to me. That is the case most of the time except for when someone in my tutorial starts asking questions about how Q only if P sounds more like Q iff P when we say it in English and I am pretty sure that's when my mind went from "Yeah, I got this" to "What?". I saw his point, but I also (soon) saw the problem with the point. Q will happen if P happens, but P is not the ONLY cause for Q. It got us thinking and I'm sure we all benefited from it.

And thus another week went by and the thing that I worried about the most was still this SLOG. 

No comments:

Post a Comment